Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Cool Fools [HW #38- Art Project Cool]

The Cool Fool from Sandy G. on Vimeo.



1. What insights about cool does the art integrate? What do you hope people will realize or question from their encounter with your art?

In this (documentary-style) film, we emphasized on oppositions- how one person can be viewed as both cool and lame. There aren't any universal definitions of "cool." When asked about our thoughts on cool, most of us said fashion, looks, and popularity. However, that is only our perception of cool. This definition of cool only applies to our culture, and our dominant mind sets.

2. Describe the process of making the project - how'd you do each step? If it was a group project, what did you contribute?

Tying back to the digital unit, we started off this project through online AIM conversations. We were just brainstorming random ideas about what we could do for this video. And for the most part, it was influenced by videos we've seen on YouTube. After a while, we (credits to Sandy) decided that we should do something with opposites, in "The Office" style format (credits to Me). After the planning was done, we just filmed what would be a typical day at school, revolving around a kid named Mike (me). Then we each took on the role of characters who had different views on Mike, and we "interviewed" each of these characters. Then of course came the editing. We all went to Sandy's house to edit- this took 6-7 hours.

Everyone had equal roles in this video. All of us did some acting, and some editing. In terms of organization, it was mostly me and Sandy. But of course, everybody pitched in their own ideas about how the video could be improved, or the specific details of each scene.

3. Does making art seem cool to you? Why or why not?

Yes, making art seems cool to me. I guess this is because in my elementary school, we had art class everyday. We were encouraged to "express ourselves" through sketches, paintings, etc. When I think about it, it's kind of odd because I engage in different forms of art, but I don't know why I do. For the most part, I am just imitating what I've seen in my life, and making adjustments to what has already been done. It's not like it comes from me, and I'm expressing who I am, and yet I value art, and see it as cool. Don't ask me why I think art is cool- I have no legitimate answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment