Monday, February 8, 2010

First School Assignment [HW #39]

Part A:
Ideas:
- School is a method to set us on the "right path." In our culture, success is one straight line that we walk through. Everything has been mapped out, and decided. School is just a way to make us have a similar mind set about what is the "right path," which then, sets up to be on that path.
- Once we enter the school environment, we are given a sense of sub ordinance. We are taught that there are ranking systems in our society- first comes: A/B/C/D/F(or E/VG/G/S/F, in my elementary school) students, then comes teacher superiority.
- Despite what schools tell us, school isn't actually teaching. Rather, they are teaching us to remember and recite. Through school, we are becoming breathing, moving text books.

Questions:
- Is school really teaching us to think? Or is it just teaching how to remember and recite?
- How certain are we about life, or about anything when we're in school?
- Why is it necessary that we have information poured into our minds? Is it not possible that we can learn based on life experiences? And if not, then is this stuff really worth learning if it doesn't pertain to our lives?
- Are humans so dumb that we need to spend about 1/3 of our lives to prepare for the next 1/3 lives, which would set us for the remaining 1/3 of our lives?

Experiences
- School has become extremely dilatory.
- Similar to the cool unit, I feel like I enter school everyday as though it is just another stage. There's this front, or this act that we all put up right before we walk across the ramp, or up that mini-step.
- My admission to SOF middle school and high school wasn't really my choice. Everything just fell on my plate in terms of my school. I've never actually made a decision that came from what I really wanted in a school. Throughout this whole time, I feel like school was just something that passed through me, and I just got caught in it.

Part B:
Recently, school has become quite tortuous for me. But I have a feeling that these feelings aren't similar to those of kids who complain about having to much work to do. Everyday, I feel, is a drag. It is not that I lack motivation to wake up every morning- it's that I lack motivation to wake up every morning, and head to school.

As of right now, I can say that I hate school. I don't mind doing the actual work, I just mind the repetition of it all. In most of our classes, we only move on every other day. It's like our teachers kick us a little bit, we move a little bit... then stay there until they kick us again (This saying sounds better in Chinese. Just take my word for it). All of classes seem extremely sluggish. The pace is so slow that even when we do learn new material, it's not as exciting. I just feel like I could be much more efficient if I just stayed home, and read a text book. And why don't I just do that? No, it's not because of the people. It's because I wouldn't be defined as successful if I did that.

Speaking of people, they're another thing that causes school to be so exhausting. Of course, I am not going to mention specific names, or specific events... it's only courtesy- you protect my face, I protect yours. But with school work not really occupying my mind, I'm even more aware of the repetition in people's speeches. Nearly everyday, it's the same conversations- the same attempts at drawing attention occurring. I know "it's who they are," blah blah blah, but "who they are" is giving me a few extra white hair. In the previous years, I looked forward to school because it was a place to socialize- a place where all the actors and actresses meet up with each other, and enjoy this meeting. But this year, between the lag of the education and the stupidity of the people, there's nothing to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment