Thursday, October 8, 2009

844-4447777#4447777#6999#3399733777444633668 [HW #11]

For the experiment, I was initially going to try the 36-Hours digital fasting. But then I realized that wasn't really possible without sabotaging my grades. My next plan was to do a digital binge. However, this is an experiment and overdosing on digital technology wouldn't be any new or insightful- at least, for me. The thing that I did finally decide to do was- texting. Yeah, I know right... Being that I've never texted a full conversation before, this was something new to me.

Prior to this experiment, for the most part, there was always a clear separation between having digital conversations and being in the less isolated outdoors. There is usually a direct correlation between sitting and digital stuff, however this was not the case.

During this approximately 30-minutes experiment (probably would've taken 2 minutes, tops, if I had just called them), I was struggling to represent my generic, digital thoughts. There was an unspoken expectation of everyone being fun and consistent on their phones, that I failed to meet. I also failed to coordinate myself to type speak through numbers.

Throughout these 30 minutes or so, I was constantly anticipating a vibration, followed by a sudden ring. After feeling these two sensations, I was aware that the other person have already read what I "said," processed the information, "thought" about it, formed a "new" thought, and responded through their feasible thumbs.

This experiment went to an abrupt ending when I entered an underground passageway to be transported to the other side of New York City. Thereafter, I was completely isolated from the rest of the world. All five of my bars disappeared and I was left alone, by myself.

Don't believe the hype. And don't pay that $15/month (or whatever).

1 comment:

  1. My favorite line - "an unspoken expectation of everyone being fun".

    ReplyDelete