Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Blame Game [HW #10]

Daniel Petric

I'm sure many people has already heard about the kid that killed his mom for taking away his Halo 3, but I think it wouldn't hurt (us, hopefully) to bring this back up and relate it to the course. The most obvious, unusual thing about this is that a person would go to such extremes for a video game. Many people have done some crazy stuff over a video game (e.g. the kid shown in this viral video). But this is a case where the player is being played by the video game. Aside from this, the thing that really caught my attention was their defense. "They based their defense on what they described as Petric's video game addiction." They're blaming the video game (not saying that they shouldn't, partially) for causing him to reach the point of insanity, where he is unable to identify the intensity of death. It's kind of like a drug addict saying "It's not my fault that this shit is so addictive."

Why Does Technology Advance in Cycles?


"This hypothesis that drastic technological change causes the economic downturn, stands in contrast to the ‘depression trigger’ model of Mensch where it is the downturn that cause the wave of technological change"- This article was too complicated for my understanding, and too long for my attention span- maybe it has to do with my instant satisfaction from instant entertainment from DRDs. But from I did read, it seems like change in technology can cause a depression, or a depression can cause a change in technology. If both are true, then society would be in a never ending cycle. I don't fully understand it, but it seems like something worth evaluating. If economy and digital technology leaves us in such complications, then why have it? There's a lot of crap that we do in our lives that only serves as an obstacle that we create, and contributes to the game that we created.


Saying Yes to No


This article is just a sum-up of David Walsh's lecture, "Saying Yes to No." There are some things that I definitely agree about this lecture, and some things that I definitely disagree with. One thing that I agree with, and I think the rest of the class would agree with, is that "media are a powerful entity that can be beneficial or detrimental." I also agree with his phrase, "More, fast, easy and fun." This, I would say, is the most interesting part of the whole article. That is mainly because it wraps up the American mindset, for the most part. It's all about the efficiency, the entertainment, and the efficiency of the entertainment.

In his lecture, Walsh blames the youth's obsession with digital technology on the lack of discipline, and he suggests that it is significant to develop that discipline. I agree that discipline is important, along with most of the things says; however, he says in a condescending tone. It implies that he looks down at the latest generation, and that the older generations are more disciplined because they were less consumed by the media and digital technology. That is the part that I disagree with.

Putting everything else aside, I'm still not sure if I agree or disagree with one of his main themes, which is: "Whoever tells the stories defines the culture." Still thinking about it.

1 comment:

  1. But lo! men have become the tools of their tools. - Thoreau in 1830s

    ReplyDelete