Thursday, May 13, 2010

"Your Type is: ISTP." Says You [HW #54]

Introverted (I) 66.67% Extroverted (E) 33.33%
Sensing (S) 62.16% Intuitive (N) 37.84%
Thinking (T) 51.43% Feeling (F) 48.57%
Perceiving (P) 59.46% Judging (J) 40.54%

ISTP - "Engineer". Values freedom of action and following interests and impulses. Independent, concise in speech, master of tools. 5.4% of total population.

Hearing and seeing all my classmates doing these personality tests, and getting overly excited (and loud) about them, I was very reluctant to taking the test myself. I was never appealed by the idea of being judged from some formulated program, and telling me who I was based on a few questions, restricted by five answer choices. Anyways, I did not find it to be accurate. The test labeled me as an ISTP, which is associated with “Engineer.” Based on their description of ISTP/Engineer, it seems like anybody is this type is some cold-hearted, indifferent, anti-social asshole who views everyone as somebody to use, as he/she is “master of tools” (what a nice way of calling somebody a user). It also said that these people dislike careers in either arts or teaching, but they are all jobs that I have considered in my life. And of the ones that they said ISTPs would favor, I have always said that they were jobs I would never get into, as they appeal to me as boring, and something that does not allow much expression. I think that it might partially be true for me, at least the anti-social part. But for the percentages, I can’t say much about them because I’m not sure what the number really means. Does it just mean that I spend more time doing one over the other? But I feel as though in each of the categories (i.e. Introverted vs Extroverted, Sensing vs. Intuitive, Thinking vs. Feeling, and Peceiving vs. Judging), both of the options are intertwined in each other. Introverted-Extroverted- your comfort with your outer, social environment depends on how comfortable with yourself, as the way you view yourself is dependent on how other people view you. Sensing-Intuitive- sensing is part of our instincts; it is in our nature to observe and to draw connections. Meanwhile our instincts develop base on what we sensed overtime. Thinking-Feeling- fink and theel, enough said. Perceiving-Judging- we judge base on what we perceive, and we perceive with the basis of previous judgments that were made, based on previous perceptions. With that being said, I’m not sure if this test has any accurate meaning to my life. It provides with the experience with taking one of these tests and getting inaccurate results. But I guess that I could be the one who is wrong here. Maybe I am just denying who I am, or that I haven’t introspect enough to know about my underlying personality, or my unconscious thoughts. Although I have to say- just to help out my case that I know more about myself than this test- at least, that the test is less accurate than I am- that during the test my initial response to a lot of the questions was 3. However, I felt a need to pick a side, and so I picked either 2’s or 4’s for a lot of them, keeping a few 3’s around. But I’m guessing that if I could even pick a 2 or a 4 for whatever question, it would show something about who I am.

Looking at all the labels given to my friends and my associates, it seems that I engage in relationships not because I want to “maximize compatibility” but more because I want to “appreciate difference.” Most of the people I hang out with have a good balance within each category, at least a better balance than mine. And for me, that is something I would want to achieve. In addition, one of my friends had the description of: “‘Architect’. Greatest precision in thought and language. Can readily discern contradictions and inconsistencies. The world exists primarily to be understood. 3.3% of total population,” which is also something that I would want as my identity make-up. So with that, I guess I associate myself with certain people because I want to be like them. I want to adopt their personality, and their ways of doing things. And so by having a relationship with them (i.e. friendships, acquaintances, etc.) I can learn from them, and be influenced by them, as I work towards the type of person that I want to become.

No comments:

Post a Comment